Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Baked Kale Chips



Source:  adapted from allrecipes.com

OK, these may be a stretch for you, but it's worth a try!  It's a great low-calorie, nutritious snack and soothes the craving for something salty and crunchy.  I used sea salt, but am going to experiment with some other seasonings.  Let me know if you come up with a seasoning you like!

1 bunch kale
1 T. olive oil
1 t. seasoned salt or sea salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line 2 non-insulated cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Carefully remove leaves from the thick stems and tear into bite-size pieces.  Wash and thoroughly dry with a salad spinner.  (Important - if there is moisture on the leaves, the kale will steam instead of crisping.)   Place in a large bowl.  Drizzle kale with olive oil and toss with hands until thoroughly coated.  Place in a single layer on cookie sheets.
Bake until the edges are brown but not burned, about 10-15 minutes.  Sprinkle with salt.

Update - since I posted this recipe, I tried another batch in my dehydrator.  I had dehydrated some kale last year and remembered it tasting better than the baked version.  My memory was correct - the kale is much better dehydrated - it looses the bitter taste and just tastes better all around.  I realize few people have the luxury of a dehydrator, but if you do, simply dehydrate at 110 degrees until crisp, then sprinkle with seasonings.
 My kale continues to produce, so I plan to keep dehydrating it so I have a supply of kale chips on hand for later use.

No comments:

Post a Comment