Saturday, July 3, 2010

Broccoli Salad


This is the classic Broccoli Salad that everyone loves.  I tried giving it a healthful tweak by using yogurt in place of the mayo.  I'm not ready to recommend that yet; there's got to be a better option, but I haven't figured it out -  I'll keep working at it!  But, I did substitute sunflower seeds for the bacon which worked nicely. 
My broccoli is continuing to produce sideshoots despite the initial rabbit onslaught, so I'm quite pleased.  :)

Source: Chambersburg BIC Church Cookbook

2 bunches broccoli, chopped (use stems also)
1/2 c. raisins*
1 med. onion, chopped*
12 slices bacon, fried and crumbled*
Dressing:
1 c. mayonnaise
1/2 c. sugar (scant)
2 T. vinegar

Mix dressing and allow to stand 2 hours.  Toss with broccoli, raisins, onion and bacon when ready to serve. 

*My variations:  try substituting craisins in place of raisins, red onion in place of onion, or sunflower seeds in place of the bacon.
Note:  The salad doesn't keep well once the dressing is added, so only add dressing to the amount of salad you plan to eat that day.
 
Update, 6/4/11
In keeping with my Local/"In Season"/Sustainable Living goals, I've been using dehydrated strawberries in place of the raisins/craisins.  
Tastes great and makes me happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment