Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Mixed Bean Salad




My mother used to make a similar salad, but I think I prefer this updated version.

Source:  Everyday Food magazine, September 2010

1/2 lb. green beans, trimmed and halved crosswise
2 T. cider vinegar
3 T. olive oil
1 T. fresh oregano leaves, finely chopped
1 shallot, thinly sliced*
2 t. grainy mustard
1 can (15.5 oz.) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15.5 oz.) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
sea salt
pepper

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook green beans until bright green and crisp-tender, 2-3 minutes.  Drain and rinse under cold water until cool.
In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, olive oil, oregano, shallot and mustard.  Add green beans, kidney beans and chickpeas.  Toss well to combine.  Season with salt and pepper.

Serves 6

*Note:  I substituted 1 small red onion and a clove of minced garlic for the shallot.  (I never have shallots on hand!)

No comments:

Post a Comment