Sunday, February 17, 2019

Baked Soybeans


I've been wanting to make a batch of Baked Soybeans for several years now, using soybeans that had dried on the stalk from my garden.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but I have to admit I was impressed! I am sure the addition of Rooster Street Bacon and PA maple syrup helped take it to the next level!  My friend Julia had shared these heirloom seeds with me a number of years ago, and I've been planting them ever since.  I'm so grateful she introduced them to me!

Source:  adapted from Elma's Baked Beans recipe (original recipe from Ruth Musser)

1 lb. dried soybeans, soaked overnight and drained
3/4 c. onion, diced
1 c. ketchup
2/3 c. maple syrup
1 t. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
Several strips of bacon, coarsely diced

In a large pot, cover soybeans with water and cook until soft, approximately 2-1/4 hours.  Drain.
In large casserole dish, mix remaining ingredients except bacon.  Add cooked beans and mix well.  Top with bacon.  
Bake uncovered at 325 degrees for 1 hour.







No comments:

Post a Comment