Sunday, October 9, 2011

Green Tomato Crisp


What does one do with all the green tomatoes that are left at the end of the season??  I know some people wrap them in newspaper and allow them to slowly ripen, but I've never been thrilled with the flavor of tomatoes once the weather starts turning cooler, much less picking them green and allowing them to ripen.  My mom always made Green Tomato Relish, but I don't eat hot dogs or hamburgers very often anymore and wasn't sure I would use enough to make it worth the effort.  So, I thought I'd try this Green Tomato Crisp recipe.  I have to admit, I do prefer the flavor of traditional Apple Crisp over this recipe, but it did feel good to be able to use up some of those  green tomatoes.
Source:  cooks.com

4 c. peeled, sliced green tomatoes
1-1/2 T. vinegar
1/4 c. water
1 c. sugar
2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. salt

Combine and place mixture into a greased 8x8" baking dish.  Mix together and spoon on top:

1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. rolled oats
1/2 c. soft butter

Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 min. or until golden brown and tomatoes are tender.


No comments:

Post a Comment