Saturday, January 7, 2012

Family-Favorite Pasta Sauce


I've been searching for a good spaghetti sauce recipe for some time now.  While this recipe may not be my final destination, I was pleased with the flavors.  I'd love to be able to can some sauce when tomatoes are in season, but sometimes that's the last thing you feel like doing in the heat of the summer (or have time to do!).  This version is a nice option for the winter months, using summer's canned tomatoes.  I'm not so frightened of using sausage anymore since I have a good local source of pork from pigs that have been fed conscientiously, but I did use half the amount of sausage to keep my meat consumption down and save some money.  Believe it or not, my fresh parsley, thyme, oregano and rosemary is still hanging on in the garden, so I was happy to use them to enhance the flavor!

Source:  Taste of Home magazine, Aug/Sept 2011

1 lb. bulk Italian sausage
1 large sweet onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 T. olive oil
1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (6 oz.) Italian tomato paste
1/2 c. water
2 T. minced fresh parsley
1 T. brown sugar
1T. balsamic vinegar
2 t. dried basil
1 t. salt
1/2 t. Italian seasoning
1/4 t. coarsely ground pepper

In a large saucepan, cook the sausage, onion and garlic in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.

Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, water, parsley, brown sugar, vinegar and seasonings.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 1/2 hrs. or until flavors are blended.  Serve with pasta.

Yield:  8 servings



No comments:

Post a Comment