Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Roasted Beet Sandwich


Fabulous!!

I broke my "local/in-season" rule by buying some arugula for this recipe - a friend was coming for supper, and I didn't want to wait until spring to try this.  I knew it would be good because it's basically a variation of the Roasted Beet  Salad that I love, love, love, and it was as good as I anticipated!  I'll be sure to plant some beets and arugula and make this again!

Source:  adapted from recipe in Botanical Interests 2012 seed catalog

2-4 fresh beets, roasted, peeled and sliced
2 large handfuls of fresh arugula
4 slice (1/2" thick) good quality, multi-grain bread slices
4 T. soft goat cheese
sea salt, to taste

Remove stems and greens from beets, wash and pat dry.  Place in glass baking dish.  Toss with small amount of olive oil; sprinkle with sea salt.  Tightly cover dish with foil and bake at 400 degrees F. until soft (30-50 minutes, depending on size.  A toothpick should be easily inserted all the way to the center.)  When cool enough to handle, gently rub the skins off and slice.  Toast the bread.  Spread a thick layer of goat cheese on one slice of toasted bread.  Layer sliced beets on top of goat cheese.  Pile arugula on top of beets.  Drizzle with vinaigrette and sprinkle with sea salt.  Top with other slice of toasted bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment