Saturday, June 16, 2012

White Bean and Garlic Scapes Dip



It's amazing what a few short years can teach you!  I've only been growing my own garlic for 2 years now, and never even knew what garlic scapes were until last summer when my cousin told me about them.  So, I was quite eager to try them in this recipe this year!

Source:  nytimes.com

1/3 c. sliced garlic scapes (3-4)
1 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice, more to taste
1/2 t. coarse sea salt, more to taste
ground black pepper to taste
1 can (15 oz.) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil, more for drizzling

In a food processor, process garlic scapes with lemon juice, salt and pepper until finely chopped.  Add cannellinin beans and process to a rough puree.

With motor running, slowly drizzle olive oil though feed tube and process until fairly smooth.  Pulse in 2-3 T. water, or more, until mixture is the consistency of a dip.  Add more salt, pepper and/or lemon juice, if desired.

Spread out dip on a plate, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with more sea salt.

Yield:  1 1/2 cups

Note:  I wanted a thicker consistency for spreading on crostinis, so I followed the recipe above, but then added another can of partially processed cannellini beans to give it a bit more texture, then added more garlic scapes, lemon juice and salt to taste.




No comments:

Post a Comment