Saturday, August 4, 2012

Corn Cob Stock


I discovered Corn Cob Stock as a result of being distressed about how much money I had shelled out for organic corn for freezing ($6.00 a dozen!) and how little corn ended up in my freezer.  Then, I remembered I had read an article earlier in the summer in Martha Stewart Living magazine about making stock from corn cobs.  Suddenly $24.00 for 4 dozen ears of corn plus nine quarts of home-made stock didn't feel so scandalous, especially stock that tastes heavenly!

I did have to think - if I had only spent $2.00 a dozen for the corn, I wouldn't have valued it enough to seek out another use for the cobs.  It was a great reminder of how important it is to revere the food God creates and provides for us.

(I searched on line and found a number of recipes for stock.  This recipe is adapted from
 christinecooks.blogspot.com.)

8 corn cobs, kernels removed
1 large onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 carrots, pared and coarsely chopped (optional)
6-8 fresh thyme sprigs
2 bay leaves
8 whole peppercorns
water to cover cobs, approximately 4 qts.
2 T. sea salt, or to taste

Place cobs in a large stock pot with the onions, thyme, bay leaves and peppercorns.  Cover with water and bring to a gentle boil. 

As soon as water boils, lower the heat, add sea salt and simmer for about 40 minutes.  (This is a delicate stock and should not be simmered for a long period of time.)

Strain the stock into another large pot.  Add additional salt to taste, if necessary.  Freeze or pressure can for later use.

(Note:  Since discovering this recipe, I've been throwing any leftover corn cobs in a ziplock freezer bag and stowing them in the freezer in case I want to make some more stock at a later date.)

No comments:

Post a Comment