Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Dilled Green Beans



My friend Cindy brought these Dilled Green Beans to book group last winter - they were so yummy!  In anticipation of making a batch of my own, I planted dill and green beans earlier in the spring, hoping they would mature at the same time so I could attempt my own batch.  They did!  :)

Source:  Cindy Cronce

3 lbs. whole green beans
1 1/2 t. cayenne pepper*
6 cloves garlic
6 dill heads
3 1/4 c. cider vinegar
3 1/4 c. water
6 T. salt**

Wash beans, cut off ends.  Pack lengthwise in clean, hot pint jars, leaving 1/4" of headroom (trim beans as necessary to fit into jars).  Add 1 clove garlic, 1 head of dill and 1/4 t. cayenne pepper to each jar.  Mix together water, vinegar and salt; bring to a boil and pour over the beans in the jars while still boiling hot.  Leave 1/4" head space.  Secure lids and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.  

Allow to sit 2 weeks for flavors to develop.

*Note - if you prefer less "kick", use 1/8 t. cayenne pepper per jar instead of 1/4 t.
**I sometimes reduce the amount of salt to 2 t. per jar.


No comments:

Post a Comment