Thursday, August 18, 2011

Skillet Sausage & Cabbage



Probably one of the things I miss the most after switching to healthy eating is sausage.  I LOVE sausage....  But, I just discovered that the farmer down the road sells pork products from pigs that are fed things I can sleep at night over, so I have been happy to make some of my previous recipes that call for pork again.  :)  This is one of my favorite cabbage recipes.  In this case, I used half the amount of sausage that the recipe called for to keep my meat consumption down as well as save some money.  The flavor in this recipe is best with kielbasa, but I managed nicely with some simple pork sausage plus garlic for seasoning.

Source:  Southern Living, January 2001

1 (16-oz.) pkg kielbasa sausage, cut into 1" pieces
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
6 c. coarsely  chopped cabbage
1 c. chicken broth
1/2 t. caraway seeds
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

Saute sausage in a large heavy skillet over medium heat until browned; drain on paper towels.
Add onion and bell pepper to skillet; saute 2-3 min.  Add cabbage and cook, stirring often, 8 min.  Add sausage, broth and remaining ingredients.  Reduce heat to medium-low and cook 10 min. or until cabbage is tender.  Serve immediately.
Yield:  4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment