Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Broccoli and Chickpea Salad



I'm not a huge broccoli fan. I don't know whether it's the flavor or texture, or if it has to do with eating it raw or cooked.  In fact the only way I really like eating broccoli is when it's in the classic Broccoli Salad that everyone is familiar with.  But, since I'm able to grow it in my garden and I do eat it on a regular basis, I'm going to keep working at learning to love and appreciate it.  And, after reading the book "French Kids Eat Everything" (fabulous book!!!!),  I'm even more inspired to keep learning to like, even love, those few remaining vegetables that aren't my favorites!

This recipe is surprisingly good.  Steaming and chopping the broccoli a bit really helps the texture (at least in my opinion!).  

Source:  adapted from marthastewart.com

4 c. broccoli florets
15 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
5 sliced scallions
1/2 c. chopped fresh Italian parsley
1/3 c. pine nuts, toasted
1 clove garlic, minced
2 t. Dijon mustard
1 t. honey
1 T. grated lemon zest
1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
6 T. extra-virgin olive oil
Coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a large bowl, combine garlic, mustard, honey, lemon zest and juice.  Slowly add oil, whisking to emulsify, and season with salt and pepper.

Steam broccoli florets until just tender, 5-7 min.  Once cool, chop, add to dressing,  and combine with chickpeas, scallions, parsley, and pine nuts.

Cook's note:  Refrigerate salad in an airtight container up to two days.

Serves 4.






No comments:

Post a Comment