Thursday, July 3, 2014

Cindy's Kale Salad




One of the ladies from book group made this for our picnic last week.  YUM!!  I've never had the courage to use kale for a salad, especially before a fall frost; I was always afraid it would be too tough or bitter.  But, this was perfection!  So, I ventured out and made this salad with kale from my garden for dinner with friends this evening.

1 T. lemon juice
4 T. olive oil
4 T. honey
sea salt
pepper
1 bunch kale, stalks removed, torn into bite-size pieces*
1/4 c. sliced almonds
1/3 c. golden raisins or 1 c. fresh berries**

Whisk lemon juice, olive oil, honey, salt and pepper together in a large bowl.  Add kale.  Using both hands, gently massage dressing into kale for about 2-5 minutes.  (You may want to use gloves, as this is a bit messy.  The kale will change color, wilt a bit and become softer.)  Add raisins and almonds and toss.

*My kale wasn't as sweet and tender as Cindy's, so I'm guessing she may have a different variety of kale in her garden.  I believe Tuscan kale is the variety to use if you can find it.  My kale was a bit chewy, but the flavor was still good.  Next time I plan to massage it a bit longer.
** I substituted black raspberries for the raisins, but any fresh berry would not only be lovely to look at, but yummy too.



No comments:

Post a Comment