Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Lacinato Kale Salad with Roasted Squash



Why in the world would I be making a butternut squash salad when my garden and crisper drawer are overflowing with zucchini and yellow squash??  Because, I was cleaning up for company and still had two butternut squashes sitting in the kitchen that I hadn't gotten around to using last fall.  They were still in surprisingly good shape, so the choice was to either toss them onto the compost pile or be responsible and eat them.  So, I pulled out my butternut squash file and found this recipe.  I do think it would have been better with fresh squash and a different variety of kale, but I was pleased that the squash ended up in my stomach vs. the compost pile.

Also, this is another one of those massaged kale salads that totally intrigues me, so I was glad for a chance to try it out.

Source:  Martha Stewart Living magazine, January 2012

1 lb. peeled and seeded butternut squash, cut into 1/2" cubes (about 4 c.)
3 T. extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
4 large shallots, thinly sliced (1 1/2 c.)
1/4 c. lemon juice
3 T. flaxseed oil*
1 1/2 bunches Lacinato kale, washed and patted dry
4 oz. aged goat cheese, shaved or crumbled
1/3 c. toasted hazelnuts (1 1/2 oz), roughly chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place squash on a parchment-lined baking sheet.  Drizzle with 1 1/2 T. olive oil, and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and pepper, toss well.  Roast until golden brown, tossing halfway through, about 45 min.

Meanwhile, place shallots on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and drizzle with remaining 1 1/2 T. olive oil, and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.  Roast until brown, tossing halfway through, about 30 min.

In a large salad bowl, combine lemon juice, flaxseed oil, 1/2 t. salt, and a  pinch of pepper.  Cut 2" off bottom of kale and slice leaves crosswise into 3/4" ribbons (you should have 12 c. loosely packed kale); add to salad bowl.  Toss kale with dressing, squeezing until leaves are soft. Let stand for at least 30 minutes.  

Add squash, shallots, cheese and nuts to kale.  Toss well to combine.

*I substituted olive oil.

Serves 8


No comments:

Post a Comment